Re: Biodiesel plant p2 opportunities

Hi Tony,

There are hazards using heated methanol.  A home grown plant in MA exploded and burned to the ground because the thermostat malfunctioned and the temperature of methanol feeding into the vat was a bit too high.

Handling caustics should be done respectfully, too. I wonder if our green chemists can add any thoughts to this?

Janet Clark
Senior Associate Director
Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts Lowell