From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net]
On Behalf Of Magnuson.Leif@epamail.epa.gov
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:43 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net; P2@ucsd.edu
Subject: Need your help providing specific P2 info. on multiple sectors
to EPA Office of Air

P2ers,

I hope this message finds you well.

Please help us provide answers to the P2 questions in the table below.
Please send your responses to:

Karl Bremer
USEPA/ESD  C43902
109 TW Alexander Dr.
Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709
Phone: (919) 541-3003
E-mail:  bremer.karl@epa.gov

Background: In the 1990 Clean Air Act, EPA was given discretion as to
how to implement air standards for smaller, area sources. The EPA Office
of Pollution Prevention and Toxic Substances (OPPTS) is now working with
the Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards (OAQPS) to develop
rules for the specific area sources below that incorporate P2 in them.
HQ is also working with NPPR, FOSTAA and STAPPA/ALAPCO on this, but they
would like specific P2 information, as described below.

Please send studies/data to Karl at the email address above. This is a
very worthwhile effort: a chance to get P2 integrated into Air rules and
demonstrate the effectiveness of a combined P2/regulatory approach.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
|                  |                |

|    Area Source   |      Rule      |                 P2 Questions

|     Category     |   Development  |

|                  |      Stage     |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
|                  |                | <      Is there a universal
replacement for |
| Paint Strippers  | economic       | Methylene Chloride other than
mechanical    |
|                  | analysis       | removers using abrasives or Normal
Methyl   |
|                  |                | Pyrrolidone (NMP)?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there any economic
studies on    |
|                  |                | replacement of Methylene Chloride
as a paint|
|                  |                | stripper?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
|                  | <    proposal  | <      Do you have emissions data
|
| <    Industrial  |                | demonstrating before and after
data relative|
| Boilers          |                | to tuning up a boiler (reduction
in HAP     |
|                  |                | emissions)?
|
|                  |                | <      Do you have any P2 studies
|
|                  |                | demonstrating an improvement in
HAP by      |
|                  |                | emissions by switching from coal
to oil or  |
|                  |                | gas?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
| < Plating and    |                | <      Are there any P2 studies
|
| Polishing        | data gathering | demonstrating that controls or
changes in   |
|                  |                | process reduced or eliminated HAP
emissions |
|                  |                | at plating and polishing
facilities?        |
|                  |                |

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
| < Iron and Steel | < data         | <      Are there any studies at
iron and    |
| Foundries        | collection     | steel foundries where binder
|
|                  |                | systems(facilitates mold release)
had been  |
|                  |                | reviewed and replaced with lower
HAP        |
|                  |                | emitting systems?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there any studies where
the      |
|                  |                | process was changed resulting in
lower HAP  |
|                  |                | emissions during
pouring/cooling/shake-out  |
|                  |                | at iron or steel foundries?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there any studies where
|
|                  |                | naphthalene-containing solvents
used in a   |
|                  |                | binder system have been reduced by
use of   |
|                  |                | naphthalene-depleted solvents to
reduce     |
|                  |                | emissions?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there any studies
demonstrating  |
|                  |                | emission reductions from
replacement of     |
|                  |                | Cupola wet scrubbers with fabric
filters?   |
|                  |                | <      Are there studies or data
|
|                  |                | demonstrating lower emissions from
lined    |
|                  |                | furnaces vs. unlined furnaces?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there studies of
cupolas         |
|                  |                | demonstrating reductions in
emissions       |
|                  |                | (40-60% reduction) due to
screening of      |
|                  |                | charged materials limiting the
amount of    |
|                  |                | sand, rust and coke fines?
|
|                  |                | <      For electric induction
furnaces, are |
|                  |                | there studies where metal scrap is
preheated|
|                  |                | prior to charging the furnace?  In
addition,|
|                  |                | are there studies indicating that
scrap     |
|                  |                | selection reduces emissions?
|
|                  |                | <      For electric arc furnaces
(EAFs), are|
|                  |                | there studies demonstrating
reduced         |
|                  |                | emissions from elimination of oil,
|
|                  |                | oxidation, and sand from casting
returns or |
|                  |                | scrap?  In addition, are there
studies      |
|                  |                | showing  elimination of back-
charging of   |
|                  |                | EAFs reduces emissions?
|
|                  |                | <      For mold and core coatings,
are there|
|                  |                | studies showing the substitution
of methanol|
|                  |                | based coatings with non-HAP
coating         |
|                  |                | materials (such as isopropanol)
has reduced |
|                  |                | emissions?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there studies of
cupolas where   |
|                  |                | use of briquettes and oily scrap
has been   |
|                  |                | reduced or eliminated?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
|                  |                | <      For pesticides and
agricultural      |
| Agricultural     | data collection| chemical production, are there
examples of  |
| Chemicals and    |                | reformulation to eliminate
ingredients?     |
| Pesticides       |                | <      Are there examples for
these         |
| Manufacturing and|                | industries where better
engineering of the  |
| Cyclic Crude and |                | process including control devices,
leak     |
| Intermediate     |                | detection and equipment repair
have reduced |
| Production       |                | use of original constituents used
in the    |
|                  |                | process?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there examples of reuse
of       |
|                  |                | off-spec materials created in the
|
|                  |                | manufacturing process?
|
|                  |                | <      Are there examples of
quality        |
|                  |                | assurance processes to prevent
production of|
|                  |                | off-spec products?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
| < Chemical       | < data         | <      Are there data or studies
where      |
| Preparations and | collection     | metals (eg. chromium, cadmium,
lead often in|
| Paint and Allied |                | pigments) have been removed or
substituted  |
| Products         |                | in the manufacture of paint, inks,
adhesives|
|                  |                | or sealants?
|
|                  |                | <      Have HAPS been reduced by
this       |
|                  |                | practice?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
| < Auto Body      | < data         | <      Are there data or studies
where      |
| Refinishing      | collection     | metals including chromium, lead,
and cadmium|
|                  |                | have been removed from automotive
paints and|
|                  |                | primers?
|
|                  |                | <      Have the final product
paints and    |
|                  |                | primers proved to be effective in
the auto  |
|                  |                | body refinishing process?

|                  |                |

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------
----------|
|                  | <data          | <      Are there data or studies
where      |
| < Blown Glass and| collection     | metals used to impart color to the
process  |
| Glassware        |                | have been replaced with
substitutes or      |
| Manufacture      |                | removed from the glass
manufacturing        |
|                  |                | process?
|
|                  |                | <      Has this replacement or
substitution |
|                  |                | been successful?

|------------------+----------------+-----------------------------------

Best...