Mercury in schools - gym floors

Hello, all - and apologies for cross posting:

We're having a discussion in our region about mercury used as a catalyst in polymer gym floors.  ATSDR has a description of the issue found in a 3M Tartan brand floor used in Westerville, OH,which you can read here:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/PHA/westerville/wes_p1.html

We don't wish to reinvent the wheel on this, so this is a call simply to find out if anyone has already done some legwork on this issue. (But knowing the members of this list as I do, I'm sure I will receive some good advice as well.)  Otherwise, we'll have some calling to do:
1) Have mercury-free competing products to the 3M Tartan brand been identified?  Does the 3M Tartan brand still use Hg?
2) Does an ASTM standard exist for this flooring?  Is there an authority that would have recommended boilerplate construction contract specifications which apply, e.g. AIA,  CSI?
3) Where else is this type of flooring used?  I'm guessing it might be useful in places where people are on their feet for long periods of time, as an upgrade from a simple concrete floor...
4) Has anyone put together a flyer/fact sheet advising schools what their options are regarding existing floors, e.g., encapsulation, testing and disposal...?
5) Anyone familiar with the status of the followup action mentioned in the "Health Consultation" link above?

I think the prevention approach here is pretty straightforward:
 - identify the depth & breadth of use, and try to encourage alternative material choices on the part of the consumer, either through altering the technical specifications which call for its use, or through raising the awareness of the potential purchaser
-  identify the manufacturers of this mercury containing material, and encourage alternative materials use in product formulation

thanks in advance for your help.

rick

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.