From: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net] On
Behalf Of Reibstein, Rick (ENV)
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 7:29 AM
To: tvinson@mail.utexas.edu; p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: RE: Urgently need reference...disposal costs, rule of thumb

This is not where that came from, because it is a recent study.
"Estimating the Hidden Costs of Environmental Regulation" by Satish Joshi,
Ranjani Krishnan (Michigan State) and Lester Lave (Carnegie Mellon),
published in The Accounting Review Vol 76, No 2 April 2001, pp
171- 198), examined "the extent to which accounting systems separately
identify all the costs of environmental regulation".  It looked at "the
relation between 'visible' costs of regulatory compliance - (costs that
firms' accounting systems correctly classify as 'environmental') and
'hidden' environmental costs embedded in other accounts."  They only looked
at steel mills, but they found that for every $1 increase in visible costs
there was 9 to 10 bucks hidden in other accounts.

That's pretty much on the mark with that earlier rule of thumb!