Map of all P2TECH subscribers (aka "putting the p2 community on the map!")

P2TECH-ies --

While researching a paper I'm working on, I ran across an interesting
collaborative/community web site called FRAPPER, which uses the Google
Maps tools to construct "community maps" showing where people belonging
to online communities live.

P2TECH has been around, in one form or another, since the early 1990's.
It comprises hundreds of people around the world, helping one another do
good work.  In my opinion, it is a great example of online community.  I
am lucky to count many of the people on this list as good friends, and
have had a chance to meet many of you at conferences, etc.

So, when I saw FRAPPER, I decided that it might be fun to start a
community map for the P2TECH community.  You can access it at the
following URL:

http://www.frappr.com/p2tech

Note that at present, I am the only one on the map.  However, I am
hoping that P2TECH subscribers will add yourselves to the map by
clicking the "Add Yourself" link.

If you do, you will be asked to provide the following:

- an e-mail address
- a password of your choice
- a "shoutout" (basically, just a short slogan or phrase -- though I
suggest you put one or two terms that indicate your areas of P2
expertise or interest)
- a photo (the FRAPPER site takes care of resizing the photo, so you can
send larger images) -- this is optional.
- your zip code (non-US residents have the option of adding their
locations as well, by clicking "Not in US" underneath the zip code input
box)

As a result of this, a marker will be added to the map at your location.
Clicking on the marker will display a pop-up box with your name,
location, photo (if you provided one) and "shoutout" message.  As far as
I can tell, your e-mail address is NOT displayed anywhere on the site
(it is used, however, to identify you in case you want to go back and
edit your entry).

It's very simple, taking less than 2 minutes to complete.

With program and travel budget shrinking all around the P2 community,
opportunities for building our networks "the old fashioned way" -- i.e.,
face to face -- are not as plentiful as they once were.  This is not a
substitute for face-to-face meetings, but can be a powerful tool in
building a stronger P2TECH community.

I strongly encourage those of you who participate in P2TECH to "put
yourself on the map."

Scott Butner
Senior Research Scientist, Knowledge Transformation & Integration Group
Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999 Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov