RE: P2 and BACT

Title: Helicopter Wash and Engine Flush

Karen—

I passed your question on P2 as BACT to some of our folks.  The initial response was “no” but on digging further I found a number of cases of P2 conditions in our Title V (major source) air permits. In some of these cases, P2 approaches may apply to some emissions units while others may be subject to end-of-pipe control.  I think sometimes P2 is being integrated into permitting without people thinking about it explicitly.  Still there’s scope for much much more.  Some examples follow--

  • While many printers do have stack controls, some are controlled solely by VOC limits in inks and solvents, enclosure, and covering of containers.

  • Low VOC, water-based materials, and “reasonable precautions” for pressure sensitive label manufacture; low VOC inks, lubes, cleaners, glues for labels, markings.

  • Floating roofs and vapor recovery units for petroleum tanks and distribution.

  • Low S fuels, low NOx burners, exhaust gas recirculation for boilers.

  • Low S fuels and combustion controls for engines.

  • Chilled air blankets, freeboard ratio requirements, reduced room draft, closed containers, allowing item to drain before removing, etc. for vapor degreasing.

  • Brewing and bottling: Spill minimization, “defill” recovery, and control of VOC from a “conditioning” unit through vessel closure and keeping under pressure with CO2.

  • Polystyrene board manufacture limits on VOC in materials and throughput limits.

  • Brine-cooled condensers to recover VOC in LYCRA® manufacture (plenty of end-of-pipe controls too in plant)

  • Refrigeration/condensation and distillation of perc in dry cleaning (there’s a dry cleaner with a Title V in Northern VA).

There are probably more cases in our minor source permits where VOC and HAP limits in materials and P2-related good housekeeping practices are required.

I hope this is useful.

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Office of Small Business Assistance
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382       fax 804-698-4264
rsobin@deq.virginia.gov

Environmental Assistance for Small Businesses http://www.deq.virginia.gov/osba/smallbiz.html

Virginia Comprehensive Assistance Network http://www.deq.state.va.us/osba/vacan/

DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech