RE: Solvent Stil Sources

Hi Debby,
I have to agree with Sue, those costs seen excessive high for just a still.
I don't know where you are located, but some municipalities (or at least the
local fire departments) have strict codes when it comes to solvent
distillation units.  The prices you are being quoted may include such things
as locating the still in an enclosed room with a berm, explosion proof
walls, a sprinkler system, and a sump to collect any spillage. If this is
the case it would certainly account for the high cost.  Check with your
local fire department and environmental agency to see what the regulations
require.

By the way, the solvent distillation unit doesn't care whether or not it is
distilling one solvent or a blend.  The only issue I can think of offhand is
that solvents have a range of boiling points.  The one's you list range from
about 135 degrees to close to 300.  The setup and operation instructions for
each still should address how to deal with this, but it is a question I
would ask every vendor.

Good luck,

Ken

Ken Grimm