RE: US manufacturers take back requirements

Judy—

As far as I know, the US has few if any legal requirements for manufacturer takeback.  Most efforts (e.g., electronics, printer cartridges, remanufactured automotive parts) are voluntary.

There are several exceptions:

  • Federal CFC recovery and recycling requirements (I don’t know if the manufacturer is responsible)
  • Beverage container deposit-refund/redemption systems in a number of states.
  • Removal of mercury switches from junked vehicles—Maine places certain responsibilities on the auto manufacturers, including payment of a bounty on each switch recovered (see http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/38/title38sec1665-A.html ).  Arkansas and New Jersey passed similar laws and others states are considering this too.  Since Hg switches are being phased out of new vehicles and mercury content of other products is being decreased or eliminated (the P2 approach), the recovered Hg may not necessarily be recycled.

I hope this is helpful.  Perhaps other P2Techies have other examples.

Cheers,

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Office of Small Business Assistance
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382       fax 804-698-4264
rsobin@deq.virginia.gov

Environmental Assistance for Small Businesses http://www.deq.virginia.gov/osba/smallbiz.html

Virginia Comprehensive Assistance Network http://www.deq.state.va.us/osba/vacan/

DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech