RE: US manufacturer takeback requirements

Although it's a little different than the material takeback requirements
you're thinking of, a few regs require takeback of vapors from volatile
liquids.

Stage I Vapor Recovery Systems require takeback of vapor from
underground gas tanks. Stage II systems require takeback from vehicle
gas tanks.  The requirements are imposed by State SIPs.

About 14 states require dry cleaners to use vapor recovery when they
receive new shipments of perchloroethylene.  The burden falls on the
solvent supplier. Many air permits also require vapor recovery when

Mike Heaney, P.E., Senior Engineer
Mike.Heaney@erg.com  ERG
(919)468-7870     fax (919)468-7801

>>> "Sobin,Rodney" <rsobin@deq.virginia.gov> 1/6/2006 12:47:10 PM >>>
Judy-

As far as I know, the US has few if any legal requirements for
manufacturer takeback.  Most efforts (e.g., electronics, printer
cartridges, remanufactured automotive parts) are voluntary.

There are several exceptions:

*	Federal CFC recovery and recycling requirements (I don't know
if
the manufacturer is responsible)
*	Beverage container deposit-refund/redemption systems in a
number
of states.
*	Removal of mercury switches from junked vehicles-Maine places
certain responsibilities on the auto manufacturers, including payment
of
a bounty on each switch recovered (see
http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/38/title38sec1665-A.html ).
Arkansas and New Jersey passed similar laws and others states are
considering this too.  Since Hg switches are being phased out of new
vehicles and mercury content of other products is being decreased or
eliminated (the P2 approach), the recovered Hg may not necessarily be
recycled.

I hope this is helpful.  Perhaps other P2Techies have other examples.

Cheers,

Rod

Rodney Sobin
Office of Small Business Assistance
Postal: P.O. Box 10009, Richmond, VA 23240-0009
Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382       fax 804-698-4264
rsobin@deq.virginia.gov
Environmental Assistance for Small Businesses
<http://www.deq.virginia.gov/osba/smallbiz.html>
http://www.deq.virginia.gov/osba/smallbiz.html

Virginia Comprehensive Assistance Network
<http://www.deq.state.va.us/osba/vacan/>
http://www.deq.state.va.us/osba/vacan/

DEQ Innovative Technology <http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech>
http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech