NiCad vs. Li ion Batteries

Title: NiCad vs. Li ion Batteries

I recently got the following request and don't have any idea how to answer it. It sounds like paper vs. plastic bags.  Do any p2techers have a preference and why.:

Question:
I work for a company that designs power tools for Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee.  I was currently working on a project that would possibly switch over a popular NiCad rechargeable battery pack to Lithium Ion in a cordless tool line.  I was interested to know about environmental implications to this decision.  I was told Li batteries where much better from an environmental standpoint than traditional NiCad.  I hope this is the case.  I'm slowly trying to make my company more aware of environmental implications on products they make and how they are manufactured.  Any information you can provide or connect me to would be very appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
John Calcagni
Waste Reduction Resource Center