Re: NiCad vs. Li ion Batteries

From the info I have, I think there is an argument favoring Liion
batteries over NiCad in terms of environmental impact, but I haven't
spent enough time researching it to make that argument here. I do have
a number of resources (some of which I can email to you on request)
that might help with your decision:

Preventing Waste from Batteries (Includes environmental info on
different types of rechargables)
http://www.informinc.org/fact_CWPbattery.php

An EU report: Substitution of Rechargeable NiCd batteries
http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/waste/studies/batteries/nicd.htm

There was an article in Sci of Total Env (2003 Jan
20;302(1-3):167-84.) entitled:
"Impact on global metal flows arising from the use of portable
rechargeable batteries," by Carl Johan Rydha and Bo Svard.

"Life-Cycle Environmental Comparison of Primary and Secondary
Batteries," Rebecca Lankey and Francis C. McMichael, Proceedings of
the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the
Environment, Danvers, MA, May 1999.

Rebecca Lankey actually did her thesis on this topic--an LCA looking
specifically at NiCads but also comparing them to others. I can email
this to you if you are interested.

In 2000 I did a survey of battery MSDS's and summarized the different
metals and their concentrations in NiCd, NiMH, LiIon, and ZincAir
batteries. I can email this to anyone who wants it.

Lara
--
Lara Sutherland
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing