Re: P2 for funeral homes

At 05:23 PM 1/25/2006, Schleyer, Laura wrote:

Hello, P2 brothers n' sisters!

Have any of you ever worked on tech assistance for funeral homes/mortuaries? I found one 1995 study on Formaldehyde Use Reduction, do you know of any other good ones out there?

There was a discussion on P2Tech about four years ago about environmental issues associated with crematoria, which are slightly different than funeral homes, but certainly related. At the time, I did a search for one of our staff people on the issue too. Here's what I found:

A search of the P2Tech archives (http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/) turned up the following (in response to a message originally posted by John Marlin):

·       Subject: Re: crematoria
·       From: "Robert B. Pojasek" <·    rpojasek@sprynet.com>
·       Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:42:47 -0800
·       In-Reply-To: <· 199812291447.IAA26973@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu>
·       List-Name: P2Tech
·       Reply-To: "Robert B. Pojasek" <·        rpojasek@sprynet.com>

The problem that I understand is that the fillings in the deceased teeth
are heated causing some mercury to be volatilized.  Crematoria typically do
not have air pollution control devices.  I understand that in California
the morticians have to pull the teeth prior to the baking.  This is
pollution prevention at work.  I do not know what other types of emissions
are released from the naked point source (often in close proximity to a
neighborhood).  Sort of conjures up scenes from ghostbusters!

·       Subject: RE: crematoria
·       From: John Calcagni <·  John_Calcagni@p2pays.org>
·       Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:16:06 -0500
·       Cc: "'· p2tech@great-lakes.net'" <·     p2tech@great-lakes.net>
·       List-Name: P2Tech
·       Reply-To: John Calcagni <·      John_Calcagni@p2pays.org>

I would expect some of the same issues associated with medical waste
incineration. EPA has published air standards for medical waste
incineration. The background documents for this standard are at
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/uatw/129/hmiwi/rihmiwi.html. EPA also included
crematoria in their Mercury point source inventory in their report to
Congress. There may be some unique mercury related issues.Also we have a
number of articles related to medical waste at our Website
http://wrrc.p2pays.org. Go to search databases and then to RLIBY.  We can
send you any articles you find relevant.

·       Subject: RE: crematoria and medical waste
·       From: John Calcagni <·  John_Calcagni@p2pays.org>
·       Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:34:25 -0500
·       Cc: "'· p2tech@great-lakes.net'" <·     p2tech@great-lakes.net>
·       List-Name: P2Tech
·       Reply-To: John Calcagni <·      John_Calcagni@p2pays.org>

Follow up to my previous message: I spoke to Rick Copeland at EPA who headed
up the effort on the medical waste incineration standards for air, regarding
medical waste incinerators(MWI) and he indicated that the issues are not
transferrable to crematoria. In fact, crematoria are specifically exempt
from the MWI standards. MWI burn a lot of plastics and contaminated supplies
which contribute substantial chlorine to the formation of HCl and possibly
dioxins and heavy metals. These constituents pose the greater air risk.
Tissue matter which is 96% water does not pose these kinds of problems. The
EPA air program is looking into crematoria as part of other waste disposal
such as combustion of chicken carcasses. He expects mercury from fillings
being a problem unique to crematoria since it volatilizes at low combustion
temperatures and is not easily removed. Ironically the chlorine levels in
MWI result in the formation of HgCl2 which can be removed from the air more
easily but ends up in the water.

·       Subject: Re: crematoria
·       From: "Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot" <·    rosselot@ix.netcom.com>
·       Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:17:02 -0800
·       List-Name: P2Tech
·       Reply-To: "Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot" <·        rosselot@ix.netcom.com>

According to the L&E document for dioxins and furans ("Locating and
Estimating Air Emissions from Sources of Dioxins and Furans (Draft)," U.S.
EPA, May 1996), crematories are a source of dioxin and furan emissions.

Incomplete combustion, don't you know....  I've wondered if maybe it wasn't
the materials burned with the bodies (clothing, containers, etc.) that
caused the dioxin and furan emissions, or perhaps things like artificial
hips made of plastic.  Emissions could depend on factors such as body
composition, too, I suspect.

The quantities of dioxins and furans emitted are tiny -- on the order of ten
to the minus 13 kilograms per pound of body.  However, even tiny amounts of
these compounds can be cause for concern.

·       Subject: Crematoria
·       From: Jeff Cantin <·    jcantin@tiac.net>
·       Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:51:10 -0500
·       List-Name: P2Tech
·       Reply-To: Jeff Cantin <·        jcantin@tiac.net>

Did anyone check www.cremationinfo.com? It's the home page of Elder-Davis,
a manufacturer of cremation containers and caskets.

Take a look at http://www.cremationinfo.com/cope/emissions.html. They
discuss emissions testing done in 1992-93 in respone to Florida DER
attempts to regulate materials used in cremation containers. Various types
of containers were tested and stack sampling was done for CO, HCl, NOx,
VOC, and SO2.  Data are provided on this page, but FLDER may be a better
contact.

I also did some searching on the web and found the following sites.

Environmental Effects Main Crematorium Concern
http://www.gmnews.com/Atlanticville/News/2001/0802/Front_Page/008.html

Dioxinlike Components in Incinerator Fly Ash: A Comparison between Chemical Analysis Data and
Results from a Cell Culture Bioassay (article abstract)
http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/1997/105-12/till.html

Inventory of Sources of Dioxin in the United States (see section 3.4 beginning on page 3-37 for information on crematoria. A look at the References section at the end may also yield relevant journal articles)
http://www.epa.gov/ncea/pdfs/dioxin/dioxin.pdf

Emission Tests Provide Positive Result for Cremation Industry
http://www.cremationassociation.org/html/environment.html

EPA Publishes New Mercury Data for Crematories
http://www.cremationassociation.org/html/pressrelease6.html

Making Funeral Pyres Eco-Friendly (India)
http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/15/stories/2005051504721000.htm

There are also green products available for the industry:

EcoCasket
http://www.environmentalcaskets.com/index.html
Yes, this is what it sounds like.

Environment Protection Coffin
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6640401.WKU.&OS=PN/6640401&RS=PN/6640401
An environment protection coffin is constructed to include a coffin body made by folding up a patterned sheet material into shape, which patterned sheet material is formed of an outer shell, an inner shell, and at least one intermediate lining shell sandwiched in between the outer shell and the inner shell.

ECOCEMETERY OFFERS NATURAL BURIAL IN WOODLAND PRESERVE Conventional burial in the United States bears a resemblance to toxic waste disposal. The Environmental Protection Agency has raised concerns about discharge of embalming fluids from funeral homes into septic and sewage systems. Caskets and vaults may contaminate soil and groundwater by leaching varnishes, preservatives, sealants and metals. Most cemeteries are kept verdant by regular applications of herbicides and pesticides and are "beautified" with turf and invasive exotic species. But in Westminster, South Carolina, Billy and Kimberly Campbell have founded Memorial Ecosystems, the first contemporary cemetery in the nation dedicated to ecosystem preservation while providing a lower-cost burial alternative. At the company's pilot "ecocemetery," unembalmed bodies are buried in biodegradable cardboard cremation boxes or simple pine coffins in a native woodland. Plots are sited close to the trail to avoid visitors' trampling the woodland vegetation. Where topsoil must be removed, it is replaced after burial. Grave markers are simple inscriptions on stones mostly found on the property. The Campbells will allow an average of 30 graves per acre, compared to 1,000 or more per acre in some contemporary cemeteries. While burial requirements differ from state to state, they are less constricting than one might expect. In South Carolina, for example, not even a box is legally required. More: http://www.memorialecosystems.com <http://www.memorialecosystems.com/> . Landscape Architecture, Oct 2002, p 74, by J. William Thompson. [Source: GreenClips.com

I also found a list of funeral related association web sites at http://healthweb.org/browse.cfm?subjectid=55. Some of these groups may have environmental information posted there.

I hope this helps.

Laura B.

---
Laura L. Barnes, Librarian                           (v) (217) 333-8957
Illinois Waste Management & Research Center          (f) (217) 333-8944
One East Hazelwood Drive, Champaign IL 61820         e-mail:lbarnes@wmrc.uiuc.edu
Check out our web page at http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/library/ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * P2TECH is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network: http://www.great-lakes.net To unsubscribe from this list: send mail to majordomo@great-lakes.net with the command 'unsubscribe p2tech' in the body of your message. No quotes or subject line are required. About : http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info. A map of P2TECH subscribers can be viewed at http://www.frappr.com/p2tech. This list is managed by the Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable (http://www.glrppr.org), part of the P2Rx national network of regional P2 information centers (http://www.p2rx.org ).