RE: Needed: Easy, quick P2 fixes with guaranteed results

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that an air quality person would look for
a technological fix.  Will we ever learn?  Anyway, here's a story from
today's STAPPA-ALAPCO news digest that might give the grantee some
ideas.  We have found that clean diesel and motor vehicle emission
reduction strategies address a number of air pollutants, and we are
looking at similar strategies in an EJ area in Portland.  I know other
states have similar programs.

(5) Connecticut Considers Diesel Emission Reduction Strategy (January
24, 2005) - At the request of the Connecticut General Assembly, the
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has outlined
measures for consideration that would significantly reduce diesel
emissions from buses and construction equipment. The Clean Diesel Plan,
the agency's analysis of pollution caused by diesel emissions and
particulate matter, was presented to the General Assembly's Environment
Committee earlier this week. The Connecticut DEP concluded that it would
cost approximately $20 million to retrofit or replace transit buses,
school buses and construction equipment to meet the specific targets for
diesel emissions reductions suggested in 2005 legislation that required
the Connecticut DEP to provide the legislature with a strategy to reduce
health risks associated with diesel emissions. The targets included an
85 percent reduction of diesel particulate matter for transit buses by
December 31, 2010; maximizing the reduction of diesel particulate matter
emissions from school buses and preventing diesel emissions from
entering the passenger cabin of buses by December 31, 2010; and
maximizing the reduction of particulate matter emissions from
construction equipment servicing state construction projects valued at
more than $5 million by July 1, 2006, a program that is already underway
in the state's Department of Transportation. The report also outlined
other emission reduction strategies, including considering the use of
low-sulfur and biodiesel-blended home heating oil; addressing emissions
from wood burning; developing a more comprehensive anti-idling strategy;
and encouraging fleet turnover. [For more information:
www.dep.state/ct.us/air2/diesel/index.htm]

Marianne Fitzgerald
Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality
Air Quality Division