RE: electricity efficiency potential of existing US hotel stock

John, my colleague Kim Fowler, who serves as our main "green buildings"
contact, pointed me to the  The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption
Survey
(http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/consumptionbriefs/cbecs/cbecs_trends/overvi
ew.html
<http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/consumptionbriefs/cbecs/cbecs_trends/overvi
ew.html> ).  This survey is really aimed at slightly different questions
than the one you are asking, but at the very least you can get some
ideas of relative intensity of energy use in hotels vs. other sectors,
through the data presented in this table:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cbecs/pdf/c10.pdf

Of course, there are differences that make comparing across sectors a
little "iffy" -- for example, hotels (12.7kWh/sq ft) look good in
comparison to Food Sales (48.7 kWh/sq ft), but then hotels don't have to
refrigerate a large part of their inventory (though I stayed in one
hotel in Atlanta a few years back, that seemed to be determined to do
so....)

I've pinged our building energy conservation people with a copy of your
e-mail, and as additional ideas for where to track down this info roll
in, I'll be sure to pass them along.

SB