RE: electricity efficiency potential of existing US hotel stock

Scott made me think of another pretty good source - ASHRAE - the standard-setting people for the engineers who design the heating and cooling units to make the building envelopes livable.  I'd be surprised if RMI doesn't already know of them, though..

In any case, ASHRAE has a reference manual for MEs who do the HVAC design, last updated in 2003, the  "HVAC Applications" Handbook with a chapter titled "A5 -- Hotels, Motels, and Dormitories":
http://resourcecenter.ashrae.org/store/ashrae/newstore.cgi?itemid=16939&view=item&categoryid=456&categoryparent=456&page=1&loginid=4953459
As you can see from the chapter TOC, it describes the load characteristics, which includes typical heat loads due to lighting, cookspaces, etc.  He might be able to derive something from that.  On top of that is the design strategy for hotels - type of individual room units vs. building AHUs, etc.  That could lead to something a little more concrete.

This information source won't provide a clean cut on electrical efficiency, but here's the second way to use it:  each chapter has a group of technical experts  who authored it.  I would suggest asking them the same question we're trying to answer.  The apparently simple question has several answers, i'm sure, depending on how one breaks it down - efficiency by entire site, by energy use, etc...

interesting

rick

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

"Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
Sent by: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

02/01/2006 01:06 PM

Please respond to
"Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>

John Calcagni <John_Calcagni@p2pays.org>, p2tech@great-lakes.net
cc
"Fowler, Kimberly M" <kim.fowler@pnl.gov>
Subject
RE: electricity efficiency potential of existing US hotel stock

John, my colleague Kim Fowler, who serves as our main "green buildings"
contact, pointed me to the  The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption
Survey
(http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/consumptionbriefs/cbecs/cbecs_trends/overvi
ew.html
<http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/consumptionbriefs/cbecs/cbecs_trends/overvi
ew.html> ).  This survey is really aimed at slightly different questions
than the one you are asking, but at the very least you can get some
ideas of relative intensity of energy use in hotels vs. other sectors,
through the data presented in this table:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cbecs/pdf/c10.pdf

Of course, there are differences that make comparing across sectors a
little "iffy" -- for example, hotels (12.7kWh/sq ft) look good in
comparison to Food Sales (48.7 kWh/sq ft), but then hotels don't have to
refrigerate a large part of their inventory (though I stayed in one
hotel in Atlanta a few years back, that seemed to be determined to do
so....)

I've pinged our building energy conservation people with a copy of your
e-mail, and as additional ideas for where to track down this info roll
in, I'll be sure to pass them along.

SB