Meeting Announcement: Re-emergence of the P2 Phly Phishers Phorum -- Atlanta, GA May 7, 2006

As many of you know, the National Environmental Partnership Summit
(http://www.environmentalsummit.org/) is scheduled for May 8-11, 2006 in
Atlanta, GA.

Since this meeting essentially incorporates the old National P2
Roundtable Spring meeting, I have decided it is appropriate to announce
the re-instigation of a NPPR tradition -- previously known to only a
select few -- which has come to be called the P2 Phly Phisher's Phorum.

Admittedly, an awful alliteration.  But a grand tradition.

This Phorum is an unofficial "outing" conducted in conjunction with, but
in no way sponsored or endorsed by, the NPPR meetings.  Historically, it
has taken place on either the last day of the meeting, or the Sunday
prior to the meeting.  It is open to anyone attending the meeting/Summit
who enjoys fly fishing, and/or getting out in the wild.

Membership is purely a matter of who shows up, and in past years we have
fished such locations as:

- Walden Pond (on the outskirts of scenic Maynard, MA)
- Oregon's wild Deschutes River
- Washington's Yakima River
- the Truckee River, near Lake Tahoe
- Arkansas' White River
- Ohio's Mad River (and a few muddy ponds)

This year, our options include the famed Chatahoochee River near Atlanta
(aka "da 'Hooch") or possibly some of the pay-to-play streams in
Northern Georgia.  Such decisions are made mostly by consensus of the
group, and to a lesser degree, by the person whose rental car we're
using.

Now, it has been alleged that the Phly Phisher's Phorum (and
incidentally, we used the term Phishers long before it had it's current
cybercriminal connotation) is nothing but a "good old boy's network."

Rubbish, I say!   You need neither be a boy, nor particularly old, to
participate.  And while it may be true that some of us qualify as both,
in the end the only part of that assessment that's true is the
networking.

In any event, this year's outing promises to be at least a little warmer
than a few years ago, when we braved the spring weather on my home
river, the Yakima:

http://webpages.charter.net/lstephens6592/people.htm

(scroll down about half-way to see pictures of some of our previous
outings)

If you enjoy being out on or in a river, and will be attending the
Summit, drop me a line, and we'll see if we can get enough people
together to revive this cherished tradition.
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov