RE: I'm confused

Kathy -

Mike is right, it is the policy statement that defines the waste management hierarchy which comes closest to your definition.  This quickly became a policy issue, which was resolved by two agency memos, cited below.l

There were follow-up policy clarification memos, first issued by Hank Habicht and then formally published under Carol Browner's signature. The summary of these policy clarifications can be found on the EPA page http://www.epa.gov/oppt/p2home/p2policy/definitions.htm#national

Habicht's memo, 5/28/92
http://www.epa.gov/Region7/programs/artd/air/nsr/nsrmemos/pollprev.pdf

Carol M. Browner, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency, Memorandum to EPA employees, "Pollution Prevention Policy Statement: New Directions for Environmental Protections," June 15, 1993
http://www.epa.gov/oppt/p2home/p2policy/policy.htm

It's fun to see what kinds of resources and references are available via P2Rx Topic Hubs, like the one on "P2"!

cheers,

rick

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

"Callahan, Mike" <Mike.Callahan@jacobs.com>
Sent by: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

03/14/2006 07:47 PM

Please respond to
"Callahan, Mike" <Mike.Callahan@jacobs.com>

p2tech@great-lakes.net
cc
Subject
RE: I'm confused

Kathy,

The only thing that comes close to stating "pollution prevention" is under
policy where it states "The Congress hereby declares it to be the national
policy of the United States that pollution should be prevented or reduced at
the source whenever feasible..."

So, instead of "pollution prevention" we can also call it "pollution
reduction" and tell everyone that we work in PR!