Leachable Silver

Title: Leachable Silver

Hi All!!

        I have been dealing with a professional flute manufacture that uses 92% sterling silver to make  their instruments. They generate floor sweepings and waste materials collected from the polishing, cleaning and grinding operations which has silver "fines" in it-not sure of actual particles size. This material is presently being sent to a Rhode Island for Recovery.  One note that Massachusetts is more stringent the Federal Requirements under the Solid Waste Exemption--we require licenses for transports of precious metal waste haulers, if the material is hazardous > 5 ppm silver.     Does anyone have any experience with the leachablity of silver as result of  testing this type of waste stream or similar solid waste containing silver for TCLP.?

Keith

Keith R. Anderson
Environmental Engineer IV
Dept. of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Waste Prevention, Compliance and Enforcement
627 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01608
keith.anderson@state.ma.us
tele. 508.767.2751