Any Ideas to Address a Sampling Issue?

Title: Any Ideas to Address a Sampling Issue?

Hi All,

I'm working on a project to address the operating efficiency of a wash rack recycling system. The cleaning agent is alkaline and my client wants me to "fully" characterize the influent and effluent. Now here's my problem. The influent will be alkaline at 8 to 10 pH and contain 1 percent or so detergent. I want to send unpreserved samples to the lab but my client insists I follow USEPA protocol. For a total oil and grease sample, you preserve with HCl or H2SO4 to a pH < 2. My field tech doesn't look forward to having to handle acids in the field and I'm uncertain about possible chemical reactions with the cleaner. Has anyone else faced these issues?

Mike Callahan, PE
Jacobs Engineering
1111 S. Arroyo Parkway
Pasadena CA 91105