URGENT! FLOOR VOTE THIS WEEK ON PLASTIC BAGS (AB2449)! WE NEED YOU!

Apologies for Cross-Postings

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:55:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Murray <CAW@mail.democracyinaction.org>
Subject: URGENT! FLOOR VOTE THIS WEEK ON PLASTIC BAGS! WE NEED YOU!

[]

URGENT FLOOR VOTE THIS WEEK -- YOUR HELP NEEDED AGAIN!

Dear Friends:

Last week, I urged you to send letters to your Assembly representative asking for his or her support on Assemblyman Lloyd Levine's Assembly Bill 2449. You responded generously -- literally hundreds of letters were sent -- but the Assembly adjourned before the bill could come up for a vote.

Assembly Member Levine intends to take up AB 2449 on Thursday and we will be fighting for every vote. If you have already sent a letter to your Assembly Member, please help us further by clicking here to let your friends and associates know about this critical campaign.

And if you have not yet had an opportunity to send your own letter, please do so by clicking here now.

Californians use over 19 billion plastic grocery and merchandise bags a year (roughly 552 bags per person), creating 147,038 tons of unnecessary waste in our landfills. As people throughout the state throw away over 600 bags a second, they are creating enough waste to circle the planet over 250 times in one year. As bad as they are for the on-shore environment, they are deadly in the marine environment. Every year, plastic debris - such as bags - kills animals through entanglement, suffocation, starvation and ingestion. In the 1980s it was estimated that plastic rubbish caused the deaths of over 100,000 marine mammals and sea turtles a year in the North Pacific alone.

AB 2449 will take the first bite out of this growing environmental crisis, but we must have your support to be successful.

Thanks,

Mark Murray
Executive Director

P.S. You can help us literally quadruple the number of letters legislators receive in support of this bill by clicking here now. That will greatly increase its chances of passage!

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485
www.garyliss.com