Re: Auto Recyclers-Sour Fuel question

This is what I usually say:

Existing Conditions - THE IOWA AUTO RECYCLER currently collects gasoline
and diesel fuel from salvage vehicles.  Used fuel is stored and reused.

Regulatory review - Fuel used in automobiles generally does not become a
waste unless it has been contaminated or has become unsuitable for use in
an automobile engine due to its chemical degradation (varnished).

Recommendation(s) - If the fuel is contaminated with material that can be
filtered out, do so. If gasoline has become varnished, try using it in
small two-cycle engines (for example, lawn mowers), or dilute it with clean
fuel for use.

If there is no acceptable use for the fuel, it should be disposed of
through an EPA-permitted hazardous waste management company that will use
it to fuel industrial furnaces.  Waste fuel should be included in the
facility's hazardous waste generation total and maintained on-site in
compliance with all applicable hazardous waste generator regulations (i.e.,
CESQG or SQG).

I haven't heard of any "treating" it with HEAT either but maybe that is
because we had ethanol at the pump in Iowa. The biggest concern is whether
it has been designated a waste prior to treating it to make it useful
again. I always joke with the recyclers saying "At today's prices there is
no such thing as bad gas!"

Sue

Sue Schauls
Program Manager