RE: Auto Recyclers-Sour Fuel question

Hi Patti,

I have heard of people using alcohols like methanol (and of course
ethanol) to boost octane levels in engines.  Technically, there is no
reason you shouldn't be able to add methanol to gasoline.  Methanol acts
like ethanol (just a bit more toxic).  Since they're using an additive,
% methanol in the gasoline shouldn't be a problem, but ~70% (from some
Googling), weird stuff starts happening.  I'm not sure what types of
peroxides are forming to make soured gasoline, but I think they should
break down just fine in combustion.  Heck, they use methanol and
peroxides in rocket fuel
(http://www.walter-rockets.i12.com/design/fuels.htm).

I also concur with Andy's statement about recyclers and scrap yards
using the gas from soon-to-be-scrapped vehicles for their own
operations.

Tony

Tony Cooper
Toxics Reduction Engineer