Fwd: Re: Fwd: Auto Recyclers-Sour Fuel question

This reply was meant for the list.

Laura B.

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:17:04 -0400
From: "Judy Schaefer" <SCHAEFJ2@michigan.gov>
To: "Listman" <listman@mail1.wmrc.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Auto Recyclers-Sour Fuel question

This is the response I received from the fuel quality program in MI which regulates fuel being sold.

I have never heard of being able to make old gasoline usable by the addition of Methanol. Methanol is very corrosive and requires a co-solvent to even be used in gasoline. While methanol will increase the octane of the product it will do little to alter some of the other fuel characteristics that have degraded over time. USEPA and Michigan law limits the addition of methanol to no more then 5% by volume.
We routinely screen for methanol content and have not seen it used for a long time. If it is present at an amount greater then 1% by volume it must be labeled on the pump.
If you have any knowledge of it's being used in Michigan we would be interested in following up to make sure the use is appropriate and does not impact upon final fuel quality.

Celeste Bennett
BennettC9@michigan.gov

>>> Listman <listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu> 06/05/06 4:28 PM >>> I think this was meant for the list. Please reply to the list or directly to Patti at Patti.Best@deq.idaho.gov.

Thanks!

Laura B.

>Subject: Auto Recyclers-Sour Fuel question
>Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:41:27 -0600
>From: <Patti.Best@deq.idaho.gov>
>To: <listman@mail1.wmrc.uiuc.edu>
>
>Hi. Has anyone heard of adding methanol (product name Heat) to sour or old
>gasoline to make it useable. We have an automotive recycler using this
>(they then use the fuel drained from other cars) for their own vehicles
>and equipment. Does anyone know of any regulatory or environmental
>concerns with this practice or is this considered a good P2 option?
>
>Patti Best
>Idaho DEQ
>Patti.best@deq.idaho.gov

------------------------------
Laura L. Barnes
List Manager
listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu
(217) 333-8957 lbarnes@wmrc.uiuc.edu

(http://www.p2rx.org ).

Judy Schaefer Compliance Assistance Unit Environmental Science and Services Division MI Department of Environmental Quality 1 North Constitution Hall, 525 West Allegan

mailing address:
DEQ ESSD
PO Box 30457
Lansing MI 48909-7957

direct line: 517-373-0590  fax: 517-373-3675
schaefj2@michigan.gov
Environmental Assistance Center 800-662-9278

DEQ Internet: www.michigan.gov/deq

Disclaimer: Regulatory guidance e-mails are provided to quickly get you an answer to technical or legal requirements. They are not a substitute for compliance with the regulation, but guidance based on the best information available to the staff of ESSD at the time of response.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * P2TECH is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network: http://www.great-lakes.net To unsubscribe from this list: send mail to majordomo@great-lakes.net with the command 'unsubscribe p2tech' in the body of your message. No quotes or subject line are required. About : http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info. A map of P2TECH subscribers can be viewed at http://www.frappr.com/p2tech.

(http://www.p2rx.org ).