RE: Looking for examples of marketing/advertising associated with a junk car cleanup campaign

The one I am most familiar with is:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/vehicledonation/

And though it might not be quite what you are looking for....in fact it might be in the opposite direction of what you are looking for! -- nonetheless I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that many rural areas have a local stock car racing track, which might be more than willing to work with junk car owners to acquire vehicles for a "Hornet" event or some such thing (in our area, "Hornet" class racing is basically the very bottom entry rung, where the cars can be just about anything, so long as they are painted bright yellow with black, and have a few basic safety mods made to them).

Most "hornet" cars start out as junkers that can be brought into running -- though not roadworthy -- condition at low cost by someone with some proficiency with a wrench, are raced for a season or three, and finally find their way to a junk yard.

So the path from yard to junk yard -- er, automotive recycling facility -- might not be direct; in fact, it might involve a WHOLE lot of left turns -- but it will nonetheless get there.

How do I know this?    Well, I am a liberal, economy car driving, tree-hugging environmental professional who just happened to grow up watching noisy, dirty cars drive around and around in circles at high speeds.  Once it gets in your blood (and it may very well be genetic -- my dad used to drive race cars from time to time), it doesn't get out.

Sort of like mercury, I guess.

Anyway, chalk it up to cognitive dissonance.  And for the record, no, we DON'T only go for the crashes (though I'd be lying if I said that wasn't part of the attraction).

And for the record, no, it doesn't make any sense to me that I like such things, either.

Hope this helps.

SB

Scott Butner
Senior Research Scientist, Knowledge Transformation & Integration Group
Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov