RE: P2 Tax Credit

I am looking forward to responses to Lynn's question, especially any data
that shows a tax credit actually motivated *marginal* P2 investments.
Mostly because I doubt such data exists or that tax credits get significant
results, tho I would like to be proven wrong.

I did a global study on financing P2 and clean production for the Asian
Development Bank in 2000-2001, and examined tax credit schemes to stimulate
small business investments in general.

A few important points to consider:

Tax credits are only relevant if you make a profit.  Many businesses esp
small private ones (i.e. 90% of all businesses) do not declare much profit
if they don't have to.  You can avoid declaring a profit by paying yourself
a bonus.  So for them a tax credit is irrelevant (there are exceptions to
the rule of course).  In your target population how many businesses actually
file and pay taxes on their profits?

Credits are only useful to tip the balance for marginal P2 investments, ones
that would not be made otherwise.  This further reduces the pool of
potential applications, to the small number of ones that are not clearly
profitable (if so they'll do it anyway) or clearly unprofitable (no tax
credit will help).  So you are targeting a very small slice of the p2
investment options pie.

Credits are usually not big enough to really motivate people.  Sure they can
tip the balance towards making the investment but there are usually lots of
other non-financial aspects (resistance to change etc) that are in the way
also.

Most small - medium businesses are quite poor - incompetent - at correctly
evaluating profitability of capital investments.  Most just do simple
payback or ROI calculations and don't include lots of real costs.  Asking
them to add in tax credit calculations is asking a lot.  How much of the
target population is actually capable of calculating the effect of credits
on their investment return?

So why are tax credits popular?  Simply, it is one of the few things that
legislators can mess around with to give favors and play social engineers.
They do it because they can, not because it makes a big difference.

All this adds up to:  Before putting a lot of effort into getting a tax
credit passed, make sure it's worth it.

Now the good part:  The most effective tool we found to increase access to
finance is the Capital Access Program concept pioneered in Michigan.

http://polisci.msu.edu/~urbanpol/publications/brief_5.htm

This helps marginal borrowers get loans they would otherwise not get, at a
very low cost to the state, and appears very efficient.  It certainly can be
applied to P2 investments and is very much worth examining.

Thanks, I hope this is helpful.

Burton Hamner
Director, Cleaner Production International
Producer, http://www.CleanerProduction.Com
5534 30th Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105
wbhamner@cleanerproduction.com
(206) 526-5308
mobile (206) 491-0945
fax (215) 565-4558   (yes, different area code)