Looking for "bullet list" history of environmental regulations, pollution prevention "movement" in the US

Title: Looking for "bullet list" history of environmental regulations, pollution prevention "movement" in the US

Folks --

I'm interested in finding a concise, preferably "bulletized" history of environmental management (including both regulations and voluntary trends, like EMS standards adoptions, etc).  This will be used for a little "personal" project -- creating a visual timeline of environmental management practices, with a particular focus on their application to the Chemical Industry.

I suppose you can imagine why I'm interested in doing that.

I am interested primarily in US history/trends, though not exclusively.  For instance, the first "voluntary" P2 program I am aware of was in Manchester, UK in 1842, when J.E.N. Molesworth helped establish the Manchester Association for the Prevention of Smoke.    He worked to convince manufacturers to sign a pledge to reduce smoke from their shops and factories.  Unfortunately, of the thirty five signators to the pledge, only three actually made any efforts to live up to the pledge, and two years later Molesworth pushed for a less voluntary approach*.

Carrot and stick, indeed!

Anyway, any pointers you can provide -- to either printed texts or (preferably) web-based resources -- would be very much appreciated. And if I use your data, you will of course get credit in the resulting timeline.

Cheers,
SB

* this example adapted from Flick, Carlos.  "The Movement for Smoke Abatement in 19th-Century Britain," Technology and Culture, vol 21, no. 1 January 1980.

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov