[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Recycling Small Armor Plate Inserts (SAPI) from bullet proof /protective vests
- Subject: Recycling Small Armor Plate Inserts (SAPI) from bullet proof /protective vests
- From: Lara Sutherland <LSutherland@hcwh.org>
- Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:26:03 -0600
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- List-name: p2tech
- Organization: Health Care Without Harm
- Reply-to: Lara Sutherland <LSutherland@hcwh.org>
I received a request for ideas on how the feds can recycle or reuse
Small Armor Plate Inserts ( or SAPIs) from the protective vests. Each
time a vest is hit the vest is burned and the plates are discarded, by
being put in dumpsters and sent to landfills. Each vest contains 5 to
6 plates weighing a total of 70 pounds. The plates are made of Kevlar
or a composite fiber (graphite/fiberglass). This disposal issue also a
problem for police departments which are throwing out thousands of
these plates each year.
Has anyone heard of a reuse/recycling option for these plates? Or have
an idea for something they could be used for?
Please reply to the list.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
Health Care Without Harm
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
P2TECH is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network:
To unsubscribe from this list: send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the command 'unsubscribe p2tech' in the body of your message. No
quotes or subject line are required.
About : http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info.
A map of P2TECH subscribers can be viewed at http://www.frappr.com/p2tech.
This list is managed by the Great Lakes Regional Pollution
Prevention Roundtable (http://www.glrppr.org), part of the
P2Rx national network of regional P2 information centers