Lead in gardening equipment

Recently I purchased several items from large gardening shops which had warnings regarding lead.  The warning stated that you should wash your hands after use, etc.,  It sounded quite dire.  This included items such as watering wands and sprinklers.

Does anyone know what the laws/rules might be on lead in items in daily household use?  I was shocked to see these items contained lead.  Is there an effort to regulate lead content?  These are the types of items kids would play with, touch and even drink from.  Is there any group trying to raise awareness about this?

Thanks for the info.

Kathey Ferland