Gypsum - Battery Recycling

I apologize if you have seen this before.  I sent my question in before I
was official on the list serve, so I do not know if it ever got posted.

We are working with a company in Missouri that recycles lead-acid
batteries.  When a lead-acid battery is recycled, almost all the material
is reused; however, waste is generated from the recycling process itself.
The majority of waste is calcium sulfate, also known as gypsum.  Thousands
of tons of this material currently ends up in a landfill each year.

A scrubber removes sulfur dioxide from their smelter air emissions.  The
scrubber uses lime activated with water.  The calcium in the lime and the
sulfur combine to form a calcium sulfate (gypsum) slurry.  This solution is
dehydrated and mixed with slag from the lead melting operation to stabilize
the slag.  Portland cement is added and it is placed in their hazardous
waste landfill where it hardens into concrete.

Has anyone worked with a battery recycler using a similar process and / or
knows of a use for this material?  Gypsum is a common material used in wall
board (drywall), but wall board manufacturers are hesitant to use it
because of concern that the material came from a battery recycler and that
it has traces of lead in it.  It has been tested and passes the Toxicity
Characteristics Leaching Procedure (TCLP) requirements.

Calcium sulfate is also used in a variety of other applications.

Our client would like to find an alternative use for their calcium sulfate
besides filling up their landfill.  Recycling their material will greatly
extend the life of their current landfill as well as provide additional
financial benefits.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Scott Brady