Re: Plating technology cost data

Ken,

I hope this message finds you well.

Here are fact sheets on P2 for plating we completed in the 90's:
http://www.epa.gov/region9/waste/p2/projects/metal.html

Please pass this reference on to Josh and encourage him to call me. He
has to contact the equipment vendors to get updated price info. but
these P2 techniques and technologies for platers are still very much
viable.

Best...

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region IX, WST-7
75 Hawthorne St.
San Francisco, CA  94105
(415) 972-3286 Tel
(415) 947-3530 Fax
magnuson.leif@epa.gov
www.epa.gov/region09/p2

             Ken Grimm
             <kgrimm@pprc.org
             Sent by:                 p2tech@great-lakes.net
             owner-p2tech@gre                                        cc
             at-lakes.net
                                                                Subject
                                      Plating technology cost data
             09/13/2006 10:32
             AM

              Please respond
                Ken Grimm
             <kgrimm@pprc.org

Hello all,

I am sending this out on behalf of Josh Sidon, who is working with the
EPA and the CA State Water Resources Control Board in developing an
economic assessment related to potential revisions of the water quality
criteria for cadmium.  In this assessment they have been focusing on
pollution prevention programs as the primary tool to reduce cadmium
concentrations.

Josh is trying to track down potential costs facing the Metal Plating
and Finishing Industry.  The two primary pollution prevention
opportunities he has focused on are:  (1) installation of one of the
various cadmium recovery technologies (i.e., ion exchange, reverse
osmosis, ion exchange, etc.) and (2) substituting away from cadmium
towards zinc or tin based technologies.  While he has been able to find
much qualitative literature on these options, he has not been able to
find information on the relative costs.

His priority is to find relative cost (or savings) data for different
plating technologies.  Please send your comments to
JOSHUA.B.SIDON@saic.com

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Grimm