RE: Assistance for promoting P2 assessments

At Oregon DEQ, we take a "multi-media or cross-program" approach by
incorporating hazardous waste (RCRA), VOC and ACDP concerns for the
smaller air sources, and best management practices for stormwater
management into a Toxic Use and Waste Reduction outreach.  Essentially
we start with the regulations but most every time go directly to
pollution prevention opportunities.

We have to often and regularly indicate to each business that we are
non-regulatory or the "white hats."  Reputation is important here and it
does grow as word of mouth happens.  We take special care not to get our
visits linked with compliance inspections, by coordinating with each of
our media inspectors.

We mail out a courtesy letter - with our brochure, to a specific target
area like a zip code, indicating that the selected businesses (usually
from Fire Marshall data base) should call us for assistance.  But the
letter rarely generates calls.  What works best for us is to go out soon
after the letter - door to door.  We have found the "cold call" door to
door is much more effective than letter, or over the phone.

Best wishes.  Dave