Re: Fwd: Anyone hosted a idle reduction workshop?

Hi Nancy,
I have made the (slight) transition from P2 practitioner to full-time
diesel reduction expert and the similarities are striking. Idle
reduction is all about behavior change, and not having regulatory limits
on idling will be a huge detriment (EPA does have a model idling rule).
We have not hosted a workshop ourselves, this training is usually
handled in-house since it is relatively straight forward. You can check
out our website, www.StopTheSoot.org for some ideas and materials. You
can use the familiar idling saves fuel and money, lowers your
maintenance costs and is good for the environment. You can try the
approach of describing how health effects from exposure to diesel
exhaust result in more premature deaths than car accidents and homicides
(this may result in them changing careers, probably not your goal).
The most effective programs by far are those run by trucking companies
where they measure idling time (virtually every diesel engine has an
instrument that measures this, it is intended to determine frequency of
maintenance) and then give bonuses to drivers who stay below a certain
percentage (usually around 10-15%). Conversely, drivers who are not
paying for fuel themselves feel no need to reduce idling. It's just not
their problem.
Hope those thoughts get you started,
Melinda

Melinda Dower
NJ Department of Environmental Protection
Diesel Risk Reduction Team
P.O. Box 423
Trenton, N.J. 08625-0423
(609) 292-1122
fax (609) 777-1330

>>> Listman <listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu> 10/06/06 10:38 AM >>>
Listman note: Please reply directly to nlarson@ksu.edu or copy her on
your
response. She's not subscribed to the list. Thanks! Laura B.

 >From: "Nancy Larson" <nlarson@ksu.edu>
 >Subject: Anyone hosted a idle reduction workshop?
 >Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:59:56 -0500
 >
 >Greetings:
 >
 >As the state P2 and compliance assistance program, we have been asked
 >develop and host a workshop for diesel (and maybe gas) fleets that
 >features voluntary idle reduction practices, technologies and
industry
 >case studies.  We do not currently have any regulatory mandates for
idle
 >reduction, but are looking at them.
 >
 >Have any other states done this type of workshop before?
 >
 >What was your target audience?
 >
 >What was the response?
 >
 >What worked and did not work?
 >
 >Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.  Please
respond
 >to both Steve and Nancy.
 >
 >Nancy J. Larson, RS
 >Director
 >KSU Pollution Prevention Institute
 >7001 West 21st Street North
 >Wichita, KS 67205
 >316/722-7721 ext. 104
 >800/578-8898
 >www.sbeap.org
 >NLarson@ksu.edu

A map of P2TECH subscribers can be viewed at
http://www.frappr.com/p2tech.

(http://www.p2rx.org ).