Governor Schwarzenegger Inaugural organized as Zero Waste event

Apologies for Cross-Postings

SACRAMENTO Celebrity-filled inaugural -- he's doing it his way

<mailto:cmarinucci@sfchronicle.com>Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer
Thursday, January 4, 2007

Is it only-in-California political theater -- or mere coincidence -- that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has included in his half dozen inaugural events this week a special visit from singer Paul Anka, who wrote that gutsy survivor anthem "My Way''?

The lyrics of that fist-in-the-air victor's ballad fit the Republican governor to a tee as he celebrates his easy re-election only a year after being widely dismissed as political toast. Karaoke fans know them well: "There were times, I'm sure you knew, when I bit off more than I could chew ... I faced it all, and I stood tall -- and did it my way!"

...Public events marking the inauguration start at 1 p.m. today in Sacramento's Capitol Park, where first lady Maria Shriver will welcome Californians to participate in an environmentally themed public event called "Leading the Green Dream," underscoring environmental and global warming issues.

Thanks in part to Shriver, who pushed hard for environmental action, the gathering will kick off a whole series of "zero waste" inaugural events -- meaning that every plate and fork will be recyclable and every can, bottle and speck of food from thousands who attend the six inaugural celebrations will be immediately recycled, reused or composted, instead of being sent to landfills. The governor's team hopes to make this the largest "zero waste" event ever in California -- thanks to a cooperative effort between the state waste management board and the private firm Waste Management.

For the complete SF Chronicle article go to: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/04/BAG31NCEUP1.DTL&hw=celebrity+inaugural&sn=006&sc=473

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485