[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fairfax, CA (Marin County) Passed Zero Waste Resolution on 3-7-07
- Subject: Fairfax, CA (Marin County) Passed Zero Waste Resolution on 3-7-07
- From: Gary Liss <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:06:18 -0800
- Cc: Gary Liss <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-name: p2tech
- Reply-to: Gary Liss <email@example.com>
Apologies for Cross-Postings
From: "Bruce Baum"
Subject: Fairfax Passes ZW resolution
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:00:09 -0800
Some positive news
from Fairfax??..Last night at the town council Fairfax became the first
Marin town to adopt a Zero Waste by 2020 Resolution (attached): Mayor
Larry Bragman introduced the resolution for approval. Vote was 4-1
For more information I can be reached at 707-459-5859
ZW Citizens Advisory Committee
Some quick points on ZW that were made last evening:
Zero Waste is a philosophy and a design
principle for the 21st Century. It includes 'recycling' but goes beyond
recycling by taking a 'whole system' approach to the vast flow of
resources and waste through human society.
Zero Waste maximizes recycling, minimizes waste, reduces consumption and
ensures that products are made to be reused, repaired or recycled back
into nature or the marketplace.
CIWMB adopted a goal of Zero Waste as one of it?s guiding principles
counties around the state have adopted ZW resolutions including model
programs in SF & Palo Alto Most municipalities in the Bay Area have
also adopted ZW resolutions and strategies. (Oakland recently passed
theirs). None in Marin!
- November, 2006 Marin County?s Solid waste
JPA passed a ZW resolution with a 2020 goal that Fairfax, a JPA member,
- ?Zero Waste, The Complement to
Sustainability for Fairfax?, was approved by the Planning Commission
- Fairfax took leadership over 10
years ago --- when Fairfax adopted the first retail food polystyrene take
out regulations in Marin.
- Recycling was last century?s solution to garbage while Marin?s
numbers may be impressive, they are very misleading, Recycling is not the
solution to our long term
- ZW is about looking at the other end of the pipe from recycling.
Simply put source reduction, including producer responsibility, reuse,
recycling, and composting.
- Fairfax, took the leadership role in Marin County as first
municipality in Marin to adopt a ZW resolution.