[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: Info request: GHG tools for manufacturers
Dear P2 Techies,
This is a good and useful question. rod's message below was quite
helpful. It would be even more helpful if there were a database of
these tools with discussion of their uses, strengths and
weaknesses. Does anybody know of such a collection?
I have been looking into the California Climate Action registry.
They have a tool call CARROT. You can view information about it
On a related note, do any of the P2 technical assistance organizations on
this list have a carbon footprint reduction/greenhouse gases reduction
policy? Have any of you calculated the footprint of your own
operations? If so, please share your results.
At WMRC we have a draft Carbon Emissions policy that I am hoping we will
adopt later this week.
At 10:40 PM 7/20/2007, Sobin,Rodney wrote:
Rick and fellow P2Techers,
The interested companies may wish to check out the World Resources
Institute's GHG protocols www.wri.org
. They are among the most cited and probably among the best
There are two protocols--one based on company/organization and the other
Of particular importance to companies is that the WRI protocols consider
business as well as technical issues--for instance, how should a company
count emissions from a joint venture it co-owns with other firms? how
about activities of on-site contractors? The protocols also
consider such issues of when and how to account for indirect emissions
(pretty much everyone ought to count emissions from electricity
consumption though the emitter is usually the electric utility but should
companies account for emissions from the production of other purchased
I hope this is helpful.
- -----Original Message-----
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of Rick Yoder
- Sent: Fri 20-Jul-07 2:47 PM
- Subject: Info request: GHG tools for manufacturers
- Sorry for the cross posting - this is a bigger job in a
relatively fast-changing arena, so I thought it best to ask
- Manufacturers are asking how to assess & quantify
what their Greenhouse Gas footprint is (are there tools available?) and
if there are manufacturing oriented best practices for reducing
- I've seen the:
- - Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator at
- - Greenhouse Gas Protocol at
www.ghgprotocol.org which has links to a nice array of
- I know... this is such a broad question - what might you
add to the two items above?
- P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
- Regional Information Center, is
- a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
- Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.