discussion op RE: Info request: GHG tools for manufacturers

Hey, Gary -

As was pointed out in the earlier emails, the GHGprotocol.org site has several tools.  They are found through a link on the left , Calculation tools. Or,
http://www.ghgprotocol.org/templates/GHG5/layout.asp?type=p&MenuId=OTAx

Input /discussion request #1:  I'm not sure what greater description one needs of each tool than is on the site......   Maybe the descriptors (without discrete links to the tools) as provided here:
http://www.wri.org/business/pubs_content_text.cfm?cid=2524
What else would you want to see in a description of the tools?

Input /discussion request #2:  As an interim measure, and an opening to another discussion, I posted the references I was offered  in reply to my query here:
http://del.icio.us/P2RIC/GHGtools
I did not include links to all the tools on the index page offered by David Flora (and John C, thanks!)
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/wycd/waste/tools.html

As for the discussion opener I mentioned - del.icio.us provides a nice social tagging tool for groups such as ours - when questions of mutual interest arise, P2Tech provides a nice means to capture a snapshot of our  collective knowledge - along with practical examples and some good individual connections among those needing some expertise and those who have it.  This listserve also provides a nice sounding board.  And the archives provide a servicable mechanism to reconstruct the discussion, or to do some re-search on previously asked and answered questions.

But we could do more..... the IT and knowledge management world have changed drastically since P2Tech started.  (I won't bore you with stories of PIES, or urging external connection for institutional-only email service, or the amazing introduction to something known as a graphical user interface).  Point is, the tagging tools are available for you and for me to each identify and describe the  found resources for our mutual benefit.  Trouble is, either not enough people seem interested in doing so, either because:
1) The relative advantage of having a community developed resource isn't clear, or isn't understood as being of greater benefit than the time to contribute, or
2) The effort to tag a resource isn't compatible with how our community uses the internet - it may be a training need here or it may indicate that this community simply does not spend much time doing research or communicating on the internet, or
3) The effort to learn how to tag, or the structural need to organize permissions for collective tagging is still too complex.  This may be like the half dozen features of my cell phone, or computer, or TV, that I don't even know about or use.....  Beyond the complexity quotient for many.

I think if there was sufficient interest among enough members of this community, we could set up a trial tagging around a topic such as GHG calculators, and it would have observable results.

The benefits go beyond having a good resource - if the resource turns out to be good, that resource will help build and sustain our community

Cheers,

Rick

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.

Gary Miller <gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu>

07/24/2007 08:40 AM

"Sobin,Rodney" <rsobin@deq.virginia.gov>, "Rick Yoder" <ryoder@mail.unomaha.edu>
cc
<P2Tech@great-lakes.net>
Subject
RE: Info request:  GHG tools for manufacturers

Dear P2 Techies,

This is a good and useful question.  rod's message below was quite helpful.  It would be even more helpful if there were a database of these tools with discussion of their uses, strengths and weaknesses.  Does anybody know of such a collection?

I have been looking into the California Climate Action registry.  They have a tool call CARROT.  You can view information about it at:

http://www.climateregistry.org/

On a related note, do any of the P2 technical assistance organizations on this list have a carbon footprint reduction/greenhouse gases reduction policy?  Have any of you calculated the footprint of your own operations?  If so, please share your results.

At WMRC we have a draft Carbon Emissions policy that I am hoping we will adopt later this week.

Gary Miller