Re: Just barely off topic: Can Nuclear Energy ever be "sustainable?"

Just barely off topic: Can Nuclear Energy ever be "sustainable?"Using the "ideal" definition, just like everything else, the answer is no.
Just the fact the atoms are undergoing fission are destroyed, means
raw material is lost. So you are left with stating a definition and
comparing nuclear power to that definition.

Couple of things to consider:

1. Under current systems, there is waste that can not be reused or recycled, ie Yuca Flats.
2. There is water and air pollution. Compared to coal, there is no contest, but it is there.
3. There are energy considerations to prepping the cores, but if the energy comes from
nuclear power, that goes away.
4. Do you count the energy lost during delivery of the electricity as a bad thing knowing that
happens with all sources that come in bulk?

The biggest thing to answer, is it sustainable compared to the alternatives? It is
probably the closest to sustainable (considering bulk solar is not here yet).

Henry Boyter, Jr., PhD
Director of Research
Institute of Textile Technology
NCSU College of Textiles