From: Joseph Sarkis [mailto:jsarkis@clarku.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:25 PM
To: Butner, R Scott; P2 Tech list serve
Subject: RE: Just barely off topic: Can Nuclear Energy ever be "sustainable?"

Scott,

It depends on your definition of sustainability.  Sustainability from a 'triple bottom line' perspective?  Well, not sure how it socially measures up, can poverty stricken (developing) places throughout the world afford nuclear energy, and if so, would they be allowed to have it?  If they are allowed to have, will the construction of those plants be safe?  I'll let others speak of the environmental issues, but non-renewability and supply chain issues really come into play here.

It terms of sustainability from an inter-generational (preserving our future generations) perspective, it is too difficult to tell.  We may be leaving them with a legacy that cannot be managed.  We are talking about possible brownfield sites that may be horrendous (but I'm not sure what the damage will be there).  You have low level and high level wastes. I worked at one place in New York (West Valley) that was going through some rough times trying to figure out what to do with water/liquid  wastes that had been contaminated and whole buildings that were blocked off.  Something had to be done with all that material.  I'm not sure what Yucca mountain or other repositories hold, but once they hold these wastes, they will be held for future generations to deal with.  We are also assuming from a security perspective (a different sustainability measure) that someone will be around to protect those sites in the future from either nefarious or negligent parties.  This is an assumption we can or cannot make since we don't know what it will be like in 50 years, much less 1,000 or 10,000 years.

So, is nuclear energy the best sustainable alternative? Good question, ask again in 10,000 years.

-Joe