P2 for solvent reuse and recylcing business

Greetings:

I am working with a client trying to identify opportunities for solvent P2 at his business that is in business to collect used solvent (as a material) then reuse it to clean drums, distill it and then sell the solvent back to clients.  A continuous-use type of process.

I have recommended a few things which are actually contrary to what they want to achieve at their business and wonder if any of you had additional ideas.  Here is what I have suggested so far –

Think about how you can

Ø       Change the Process, (use less solvent to clean drums, train employees and clients, develop an EMS, make waste min part of an employees job description)

Ø       Change the Technology, ( distillation efficiency, waste-to-energy unit like a burner)

Ø       Change the material to minimize your waste.  (Less toxic solvents - offer a line of acetone or alcohols to your clients and keep them separate from other blends that contain halogens.  Maybe a percentage of your clients would prefer this less toxic cleaner.)

EPA has a nice document at several locations including:

EPA guidance to HWM plans: http://gcisolutions.com/HWFN0993.htm

This is a comprehensive guide to minimization published in 2000: http://www.epa.gov/sbo/pdfs/hazwaste_500.pdf

This one speaks to distillation and energy recovery: http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/general/manag-hw/e00-001d.pdf

Ohio published this guide: http://www.epa.state.oh.us/opp/guide/p2papc.html

We have a number of documents at http://www.sbeap.org/publications.php?media=Waste,Pollution%20Prevention,Enviromental%20Management%20Systems

Other ideas?

Nancy J. Larson, RS

Director, KSU Pollution Prevention Institute

Small Business Environmental Assistance Program
316/722-7721 ext. 104
800/578-8898
www.sbeap.org
NLarson@ksu.edu