Emissions from Cobalt, Copper, Zinc smelting

Dear P2 Techers,

I have a question about air and water emissions sampling and testing.  I am currently in Lubumbashi in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  There are significant mining interests here from all over the world making this city the 14th fastest growing city in the world.  Within the city limits, there are processing/smelting plants for cobalt, copper and zinc as well as concern that the soils may contain uranium from tailings and mining in years past.  Neighboring communities are highly concerned about the water and air emissions but testing is very political and rife with corruption.  The NGO I am working with is interested in purchasing the necessary sampling equipment but they don't know what to buy or how much it would cost.  So that is my question.  What equipment would they need?  Can they also purchase testing equipment or will results have to be sent to a lab (most likely in S Africa).  And what would be the cost if they purchased from the US?

Thanks - I know this is a rather large question but any and all help is appreciated.

Sarah Diefendorf
Executive Director
Environmental Finance Center Region IX
666 Ofarrell St, Suite 21