KS Coal-fired power plant: denied. A pretty big deal.

hi, all, sorry for cross-posting

Yesterday at the Region 7 P2 Roundtable meeting, news that the The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) rejected the expansion of Sunflower Electric Power Corp's plant, based on CO2 emissions.  Part of the statement by KDHE Secretary Bremby announcing the decision, "it would be irresponsible to ignore emerging information about the contribution of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases to climate change and the potential harm to our environment and health if we do nothing."

great coverage here, with statements by KDHE Sec'y, KS gov, and some audio
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/323833.html

This is a pretty big deal.  A really big deal.  Stunning.  Those of you who know my affinity for the "Tragedy of the Commons" framework will understand how much I respect the actions of this individual state to forego some local benefit for the sake of the global commons.  This action demands some real intelligent design on the part of power plant capacity engineers.

Maybe our Nebraska DEQ Director Linder  and Governor Heineman, who have been  acting like they are in some regulatory race to the bottom, scuttling the innovative work of their staff to limit mercury emissions, and approving coal fired power plant expansions in Nebraska willy nilly will take note.  I'm not holding my breath.

have a good weekend

rick

Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha
6001 Dodge Street, RH308
Omaha, NE 68182
vox: 402-554-6257
fax: 402-554-6260

http://www.p2ric.org/

P2RIC, the Pollution Prevention
Regional Information Center, is
a proud member of the Pollution Prevention
Resource Exchange, P2Rx.org.