From: Gary Liss [mailto:gary@garyliss.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:49 PM
To: Butner, R Scott; p2tech@great-lakes.net
Cc: lbarnes@wmrc.uiuc.edu; Gary Liss
Subject: Re: Idle musings: Has the P2 community missed the bandwagon? Or get run over by it?

Scott,

Thanks for posing that question.  I don't think I can be as entertaining as you, but I would like to respond.

I see P2 being a firm foundation on which many of these other networks can build.  I have advocated for years that the Zero Waste movement connect with P2 practitioners in their areas.  P2 have great relations with businesses and great understanding of the opportunities for designing waste out of the system.  Zero Wasters are starting to get some traction (especially in CA), to get communities and the State to adopt policies (e.g., EPR) and programs that will require the redesign of products to eliminate waste, and take those products and associated packaging back for reuse, recycling or composting.  Once those policies are adopted, businesses will be trying to figure out HOW to accomplish that, and that's where the P2 network comes in.  The "greening" of business that is being touted right now is the beginning of that response, with the PRIUS leading the way to showing the commercial benefits of being green in a post-Al Gore/Inconvenient Truth world.

So, don't throw in the towel (or the pig) yet!

Gary Liss