RE: Idle musings: Has the P2 community missed the bandwagon? Or get run over by it?

Well, let me first say that I was blasting through Iowa, not Nebraska,
although that's a distinction that possibly only Rick Yoder may care
about...

Second, when I complained that I didn't know Scott was going to be in Salt
Lake City, he didn't complain that I didn't tell him I was going to be
there, rather he offered a technical solution -- he's going to start
posting his travel schedule and then I can check it before I go somewhere.

Isn't that the perfect Technical Assistance Program solution?  He's going
to provide me the information.

It's what we all do.  We provide information.  Most of you also assist with
implementation.  I think that may be how we end up back in the
conversation.  There will continue to be a need to harp on prevention but
perhaps a greater need for what this community does really well, provide
technical solutions and facilitate implementation.

Andy Bray of NEWMOA recently pointed out a presentation by David Allaway of
Oregon DEQ (the left coast IS my favorite) as part of the EPA Resource
Conservation Challenge Web Academy.  The subject was "Climate and Waste:
The next frontier in waste management policies?"  Mr. Allaway was showing
statistics that relate the amount of greenhouse gasses saved by recycling.
In the spirit of Oregon DEQ's apparently successful policy of P2
integration, Mr. Allaway rightly pointed out that nothing saves greenhouse
gasses like not using the resource to begin.  Or, as I've quoted before,
the farmers in Nebraska who make their own biodiesel and have wind turbines
and are "off the grid" will tell you, the easiest kilowatt to generate is
the one they don't need.  So energy efficiency is worth a LOT to these
guys.  Not to mention that age-old question of "do I really need it?"

Clearly I think our community has a lot to offer the current climate
change/sustainability/carbon footprint conversation.  I hope we can all be
engaged in it and provide the technical details that will surely be needed,
as well as the voice of prevention - a reminder that the easiest way to
reduce is not to generate.

So, P2Techies -- keep being technical and implementing prevention solutions
and keep up the P2 chatter -- anyone who knows me knows that I'll at least
be able to keep up the chatter part...

Meanwhile, I'm going to take some tips from the recent solid-waste
newsletter sent out by my local city (Omaha - Nebraska - one of the square
states out in the middle - doesn't really matter WHICH square state) and
try to seriously reduce gift-giving this year. (so I guess you know where
that leaves you, Scott...)  I'd love to share the "10 tips for Greener Gift
Giving" with everyone but our local solid waste newsletter is only
available in hard copy.  The irony of that is staggering.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and remember that Friday is "Buy Nothing Day"

cheers,
Jean

             "Reibstein, Rick
             (EEA)"
             <Rick.Reibstein@s                                          To
             tate.ma.us>               "Fred  Granek"
             Sent by:                  <fgranek@oceta.on.ca>,
             owner-p2tech@grea         <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
             t-lakes.net                                                cc
                                       <lbarnes@wmrc.uiuc.edu>, "Butner, R
                                       Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
             11/21/2007 11:24                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: Idle musings:  Has the P2
                                       community missed the bandwagon?  Or
                                       get run over by it?
             Please respond to
             "Reibstein, Rick
                  (EEA)"
             <Rick.Reibstein@s
                tate.ma.us>

I think we have a special message to bring to this new conversation, and
that is a can-do message, that we are uniquely capable of bringing.