Re: Episode #1 in "Case Studies in Questionable Judgement:" Giving Butner the keys to the blog

At 03:39 PM 2/19/2008, Ebzery.Joan@epamail.epa.gov wrote:
This has got some info on a blog and on subsrcibing to an RSS. It's a P2
users list serve.  I thought I would send it as something we could
experiment with. Does anyone know how to do the RSS part?

I'm not sure this was meant for the list, but I suspect that other people may have the same question. I've also posted this to Roundtable for anyone who needs a brief RSS tutorial.

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It's an easy way for you to keep up with news and information that's important to you, and helps you avoid the conventional methods of browsing or searching for information on websites. Now the content you want can be delivered directly to you without cluttering your inbox with e-mail messages. This content is called a "feed."

iGoogle and My Yahoo allow you to easily add RSS feeds to your existing pages. For more information, see:

My Yahoo: http://my.yahoo.com/s/about/rss/index.html
iGoogle: http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=25555

You can also read your feeds using a feed reader. I use Google Reader (http://reader.google.com), but Bloglines (http://www.bloglines.com) is also good. There are also quite a few desktop readers available, although I don't have much experience with those.

For those who just don't want to deal with RSS, you can subscribe to receive the GLRPPR Blog via e-mail. Visit http://lib.wmrc.uiuc.edu/glrppr-blog/?page_id=25 for instructions.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need more information, please let me know.

Laura B.

Laura L. Barnes
List Manager
listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu
(217) 333-8957 lbarnes@wmrc.uiuc.edu

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * P2TECH is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network: http://www.great-lakes.net To unsubscribe from this list: send mail to majordomo@great-lakes.net with the command 'unsubscribe p2tech' in the body of your message. No quotes or subject line are required. About : http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/p2tech/p2tech.info. A map of P2TECH subscribers can be viewed at http://www.frappr.com/p2tech.

(http://www.p2rx.org ).