AIChE Annual Meeting November 16-21, 2008 in Philadelphia, PA -- Call for papers is open!

Title: AIChE Annual Meeting November 16-21, 2008 in Philadelphia, PA -- Call for papers is open!

P2TECh-ies

Ever attended an American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) meeting?

The AIChE meeting this year is expected to draw more than 4,000 participants from all around the world (last year's meeting in Salt Lake City attracted participants from 97 countries!).  It will host more than 600 technical sessions on a wide variety of topics, including more than 50 sessions on environmental and sustainability topics, ranging from "Life Cycle Analysis of Renewable Feedstock-Based Processes and Products" and "Green Engineering and Sustainability in the Pharmaceutical Industry" to "One Hundred Years of Environmental Law and Policy" and "Fundamentals of Green Chemistry & Engineering."  Preliminary program details are available here:  http://aiche.confex.com/aiche/2008/preliminaryprogram/index.html

For those who want a "technology fix" or to keep up with the leading edge of green technology, it's a great conference to consider attending.

If you'd like to present a paper at the conference, the call for papers is now open, and will run through May 11, 2008.

And with that as a segue, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I'll be chairing a session on "Chemical Engineering Applications of Web 2.0" -- so if you're using the web in innovative ways please consider submitting your work to our session.

I should mention that the title of the session should be taken loosely -- we're really interested in Web 2.0 applications in ANY area which might attract the interest of chemical engineers.  As you might guess, I am especially interested in recruiting a few papers dealing with environmental applications of Web 2.0

The official invite follows.
regards,
Scott

The American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)'s Computing and Systems Technology (CAST) Division 10(e) -- Information Technology -- invites you to submit a proposal to present for our session, "Chemical Engineering Applications of Web 2.0"  The session will be part of the program for the AIChE 2008 Annual meeting, to be held November 16-21, 2008 in Philadelphia, PA.  This is the 100th Anniversary of AIChE so this promises to be a special meeting indeed!

ABOUT THE SESSION ("Chemical Engineering Applications of Web 2.0")

Technology pundit and publisher Tim O'Reilly first coined the term "Web 2.0" in 2004, to describe a convergence of technologies and business models that have had a significant impact on the way we view the World Wide Web. Social Networking sites such as FaceBook and LinkedIn, social bookmarking sites such as del.icio.us, and collaborative content tools such as Wikis and blogs, are all part of this transformation of the web from “top down” information models to “bottom-up” models, where information is built collaboratively by communities of interest. This session will focus on applications of these technologies to problems in chemical engineering and chemical engineering education.

Papers and/or posters are invited which address: chemical engineering blogs and wikis; use of social networking applications within the chemical engineering community; use of collaborative bookmarking sites and other Web 2.0 tools within the chemical engineering profession; other applications of Web 2.0 technology to chemical engineering.

You may submit proposals before May 11, 2008 via the AIChE Confex System (http://aiche.confex.com/aiche/2008/cfp.cgi) or by contacting one of the session chairs directly:

Chair
Scott Butner
Senior Research Scientist
902 Battelle Boulevard
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
MSIN K7-28
Richland, WA 99354
Phone Number: (509) 372-4946
Email: scott.butner@pnl.gov

CoChair
Paul Nix
Vice-President
PDC Corporation
10101 Fondren Road, Suite 246
Houston, TX 77096
Phone Number: 713-661-6940
Email: paul@pdccorp.com

Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
MS K7-28
3350 Q Ave
Richland, WA 99354
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov