Particularly Pertinent to Environmental Partnership Summit Participants: Perennial Pilgrimage of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum -- May 20, 2008 -- Morgan Run, MD

Title: Particularly Pertinent to Environmental Partnership Summit Participants: Perennial Pilgrimage of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum -- May 20, 2008 -- Morgan Run, MD

To my Baltimore-bound P2Techie colleagues --

Somewhat to my surprise, I find myself making preparations to go to the National Environmental Partnership Summit in Baltimore, MD where I'll be acting as an agent provocateur on Wednesday, May 21 (more about this later, perhaps --- but for now, first things first).

Continuing in a longstanding tradition, begun by myself and an increasingly aged group of known or suspected co-conspirators, including David Thomas, Isao Kobashi, Dave Hartley, Andy Bray, and Crispin Stutzman, I hope to convene an informal gathering of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum on the afternoon/evening of May 20.

From time to time over the past 19 years, this, er, "sage" (code word meaning:  sometimes cynical, oft-times curmudgeonly, but ultimately likeable -- mostly) group of P2 professionals has snuck out early from NPPR meetings in cities as far flung as Seattle, Portland, Tahoe, Boston, Little Rock, and Washington D.C., ostensibly to fish but driven by the knowledge that, in the words of Izaak Walton, " 'tis not all fishing to fish."

So, while the majority of Summit participants will be at the Baltimore Aquarium, content to merely LOOK at captive fish through glass windows, those who elect to become part of this pantheon of P2 delinquents will have the opportunity to study the wiley rainbow trout in a more rustic setting, to wit: a section of Morgan Run, a modest little stream that winds through the rolling hills somewhat NE of Baltimore, about 45 minutes from downtown.  This section of water is managed as catch and release, and offers some decent bug hatches including caddis and mayflies.

Past experience suggests a reasonable chance of finding a fish at the end of your line at some point during the outing.

A backup plan exists, by the way -- the Gunpowder River -- but given that the latter requires waders, and the former can be readily fished without getting in the river, we will probably opt for the former.

You do NOT need to be an experienced fly fisher to participate.   Heck, I once taught Jean Waters to catch a trout on a fly -- I can probably teach you.  You WILL, however, need to be willing to forego the evening's social event, as I do not anticipate returning to downtown Baltimore much before 9-10 p.m.

Our departure time from the Summit on Tuesday afternoon is subject to negotiations, but will likely occur either at the start of the break at 3:30 p.m. or immediately after the 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. breakout session.

Participation IS limited to the first 3-4 people who indicate an interest in coming along, unless someone else wants to offer to drive a second rental car.

If you're seriously interested in joining, please let me know via e-mail.

Thanks.
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
MS K7-28
3350 Q Ave
Richland, WA 99354
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov