Re: Particularly Pertinent to Environmental Partnership Summit Participants: Perennial Pilgrimage of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum -- May 20, 2008 -- Morgan Run, MD

Wow, I don't know what is the most impressive part of this e-mail.  The
fact that you write clever prose?   no you always do that...  The fact that
you've completely scoped out the fishing?  No, you always do that, too.
The fact that you taught me to fish?  Well, perhaps it's better to say that
I caught a fish.  There's still plenty of teaching to do.  And besides,
that was in your home river where you have 'em trained to jump up and bite!

No, I think the most impressive part of this e-mail is the fact that you're
actually already preparing for the Summit!  Wow!  It's still more than a
week away isn't it?  *grin*

The P2 Phlyphising sounds fun - glad everyone will be back in good shape
for the hospitality room and the Fun Walk on Wednesday morning!

Gotta have your priorities, you know...

Jean S. Waters
Nebraska Business Development Center
6001 Dodge St. RH 308
Omaha, NE  68182
402-554-6259 (voice)
402-554-6260 (FAX)
jwaters@mail.unomaha.edu

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do"  John Wooden

             "Butner, R Scott"
             <scott.butner@pnl
             .gov>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
             owner-p2tech@grea                                          cc
             t-lakes.net               "Butner, R Scott"
                                       <scott.butner@pnl.gov>
                                                                   Subject
             04/29/2008 01:03          Particularly Pertinent to
             AM                        Environmental Partnership Summit
                                       Participants:  Perennial Pilgrimage
                                       of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum --
             Please respond to         May 20, 2008 --  Morgan Run, MD
             "Butner, R Scott"
             <scott.butner@pnl
                   .gov>

To my Baltimore-bound P2Techie colleagues --

Somewhat to my surprise, I find myself making preparations to go to the
National Environmental Partnership Summit in Baltimore, MD where I'll be
acting as an agent provocateur on Wednesday, May 21 (more about this later,
perhaps --- but for now, first things first).

Continuing in a longstanding tradition, begun by myself and an increasingly
aged group of known or suspected co-conspirators, including David Thomas,
Isao Kobashi, Dave Hartley, Andy Bray, and Crispin Stutzman, I hope to
convene an informal gathering of the P2 Phlyphisher's Phorum on the
afternoon/evening of May 20.

>From time to time over the past 19 years, this, er, "sage" (code word
meaning:  sometimes cynical, oft-times curmudgeonly, but ultimately
likeable -- mostly) group of P2 professionals has snuck out early from NPPR
meetings in cities as far flung as Seattle, Portland, Tahoe, Boston, Little
Rock, and Washington D.C., ostensibly to fish but driven by the knowledge
that, in the words of Izaak Walton, " 'tis not all fishing to fish."

So, while the majority of Summit participants will be at the Baltimore
Aquarium, content to merely LOOK at captive fish through glass windows,
those who elect to become part of this pantheon of P2 delinquents will have
the opportunity to study the wiley rainbow trout in a more rustic setting,
to wit: a section of Morgan Run, a modest little stream that winds through
the rolling hills somewhat NE of Baltimore, about 45 minutes from downtown.
This section of water is managed as catch and release, and offers some
decent bug hatches including caddis and mayflies.

Past experience suggests a reasonable chance of finding a fish at the end
of your line at some point during the outing.

A backup plan exists, by the way -- the Gunpowder River -- but given that
the latter requires waders, and the former can be readily fished without
getting in the river, we will probably opt for the former.

You do NOT need to be an experienced fly fisher to participate.   Heck, I
once taught Jean Waters to catch a trout on a fly -- I can probably teach
you.  You WILL, however, need to be willing to forego the evening's social
event, as I do not anticipate returning to downtown Baltimore much before
9-10 p.m.

Our departure time from the Summit on Tuesday afternoon is subject to
negotiations, but will likely occur either at the start of the break at
3:30 p.m. or immediately after the 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. breakout session.

Participation IS limited to the first 3-4 people who indicate an interest
in coming along, unless someone else wants to offer to drive a second
rental car.

If you're seriously interested in joining, please let me know via e-mail.

Thanks.
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
MS K7-28
3350 Q Ave
Richland, WA 99354
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov