Re: Some thoughts from the darker shadows of Earth Day, and a challenge to the P2 community

Zero Waste doesn't mean there will be NO WASTE created.  It means that all efforts will be first be made to design waste out of the system.  Then set up systems to takeback products and packages for reuse, then recycle or compost the rest.  GRRN calls for Zero Waste, or Darn Close.  Businesses that have diverted over 90% of their wastes from landfills and incinerators.  Thousands of businesses have documented that they have already done that, and saved money at the same time.  That's not zealousness - it's hard cold cash.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Callahan, Mike" <Mike.Callahan@jacobs.com>

Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:53:14
To:"Gary Liss" <gary@garyliss.com>,"Butner, R Scott" <scott.butner@pnl.gov>, <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Subject: RE: Some thoughts from the darker shadows of Earth Day, and a challenge to the P2 community

I'll throw in my two cents since some people seem to be fixated on "Zero Waste" and they are suggesting that P2 take a "me too, me too" position.  Zero Waste, as a concept, is fine when you focus on a single wastestream.  But P2 has taught us to look at the bigger picture.  There are multimedia effects, there are trade-offs.  There's no such thing as a free lunch.  As long as there are people, and people consume, there will be waste.  You can reduce waste, you can even eliminate "some" waste, but there will always be waste.  And if you think that you have a perfect example, just elevate your view a little, expand your scope, and you will find that you have created a new problem elsewhere.

One major strength of P2 was in the fostering of lifecycle assessments.  It was recognized that we live in complex systems that interact.  A simple material substitution may solve an immediate problem for the user but result in impacts both upstream and downstream.  Some impacts may be good, others may be bad.  How do you balance the tradeoffs?  This field is still struggling over issues of boundary, scope, and tradeoff issues.  No one has come up with an easy and acceptable method because the subject is so complex.  The only thing certain that comes out of this work is that impacts occur regardless of the path you take.  So, do we rain on their parade by being too practical or do we foster and promote their cause by being zealots?