RE: Some thoughts from the darker shadows of Earth Day, and a challenge to the P2 community

Title: Some thoughts from the darker shadows of Earth Day, and a challenge to the P2 community

I’ve enjoyed Scott’s email and the discussion that it stimulated.  I particularly liked Rick Reibstein’s recent comment.  Then, just now, a friend who is not part of the P2 community sent me this email which I thought was appropriate to share…

Comrades-

Most of the folks I hang with choose not to keep their heads buried in the sand.  They choose instead to face reality head-on, and to look squarely at the current challenges so that their intelligence and creativity can have an opportunity to conceive and design workable solutions.

In these troubled times the task is daunting.  The problems are almost inconceivably huge, and the team of humans accepting the task of working on them seems ludicrously small.  Considering this disparity can be quite depressing to say the least.  I've spoken to many of you who begin to feel the task you have accepted (by not choosing to pretend that you live in a different, better reality) as a burdensome weight on your minds and hearts.  I know that I have felt it.  Needless to say, in such a burdened state, our intelligence and creativity are not free to work as the task requires.

I read the following quote this morning, and found it to be helpful.  Although it isn't a magic fix-all, or even a clearly defined activity that we can put shoulder to and see satisfying results, it seems to contain a wisdom that provides a break from our efforts.  It was delivered at a 1999 Solstice Celebration in the South West, by a Hopi elder:

"There is a river flowing now, very fast.  It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.  They will try to hold on to the shore.  They will feel they are being torn apart and suffer greatly.  Know that the river has its destination.  The elders say we must push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open and our heads above water.  See who is in there with you and celebrate.  At this time in history we are to take nothing personally, least of all ourselves, for the moment we do that, our spiritual growth comes to a halt.  The time of the lone wolf is past.  Gather yourselves; banish the word 'struggle' from your attitude and vocabulary.  All that we do now must be done in a sacred way and in celebration.  We are the ones we've been waiting for."

 --Hopi Elder

Kevin Dick

Business Environmental Program

NSBDC-UNR