RE: biofuels production best practices information request (served with a very small side of rant) - swag available for good work

Rick,

In Virginia we put together a regulatory primer for biodiesel producers.  It is not strong on P2 but focuses on regulatory compliance stuff plus a short section on health and safety and other (taxes, business assistance) aspects.  While Virginia-centric, it points to some federal requirements and somewhat generic concerns across media. Some of the references in it may also be useful for your purposes.

Virginia Biodiesel Environmental Compliance Primer  http://www.deq.virginia.gov/osba/pdf/VDEQBiodieselPrimer2008.pdf

Small-Scale Biodiesel Production: Safety, Fuel Quality, and Waste Disposal Considerations

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/bse/442-885/442-885.html

This is a Virginia Tech Extension publication put together largely by folks from VA Tech and James Madison University oriented toward small-scale producers. I can put you in touch with a couple of the authors if that is of interest.

Virginia Clean Cities had a series of workshops on biodiesel fuel quality, including best practices.  Presentations and references (technical and business aspects) are available via http://www.hrccc.org/biodiesel/fuelqualityseminars.html

[Al and Chelsea--anything to add on the request below regarding biodiesel production best practices? Rick Yoder from the Pollution Prevention Regional Info Center in Nebraska posted the query below to the P2TECH listserve.]

Virginia Tech put together some materials and references for what appears to be an online course at http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/lschwei/basicbio.htm --The NREL and van Gerpen references may be useful.

You may wish to contact John Dunn Dunn.John@epamail.epa.gov 913-551-7594 , NPDES person with EPA Region 7, who has worked on biodiesel production stuff in your region and has developed some materials on byproduct management. He also has contacts with the National Biodiesel Board.

There are various stories of fires and fish kills from improper disposal.  I think biodiesel has an important role but I’m worried about a lot of mom-and-pop amateurs without proper EHS training handling barrels of methanol or even trying to do a good thing by redistilling methanol—some potential for someone poisoning or blowing up themselves and their neighbors.

Cheers,

Rod

Rodney Sobin

(ex-Office of Innovative Technologies, ex-Office of Small Business Assistance—budget casualties)
Office of Remediation Programs (pretty darn far from P2)

Postal:
P.O. Box 1105, Richmond, VA 23218-1105

Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219-2429
Tel. 804-698-4382       fax 804-698-4264
rsobin@deq.virginia.gov

DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech

DEQ Distributed Energy Resources http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech/der1.html